TEDx Ambassadors serve as a regional leaders for TEDx – they support and protect their region’s community, brand, and leadership.
One of our main objectives at TEDx is to strengthen regional collaborations among TEDx organizers in existing TEDx communities around the world. Reaching across borders makes for a stronger community, and a wider-reaching impact.
With this in mind, TED appoints ambassadors in some regions of the world who can help oversee and grow regional connections within their community. After all, the people best poised to represent a community are those directly from that community.
Who are the Ambassadors?
The TEDx Ambassadors are individuals from around the globe who foster their local TEDx community, help oversee the branding issues with the TEDx events in their region, and act as a leader for TED and TEDx community in that region.
By helping TED monitor the use of the TEDx brand, and fostering a spirit of collaboration among organizers in the region, it allows us to further spread the reach of TEDx globally.
What TEDx Ambassadors do
Foster the Community
- Help connect TEDx groups in their region, facilitate conversations between TEDx groups, and support events that share regional resources.
- On the TEDx Hub, spearhead the regional "voice" and start threads that encourage an ongoing regional dialogue. They also encourage organizers from their area to contribute to the resources on the TEDx Hub.
- Facilitate conversation between organizers in the appointed region by hosting (or encouraging a licensee in the area to host) an in-person or digital workshop with all of the TEDx organizers in the region.
Protect the TEDx Brand
- Keep an eye on regional TEDx websites to ensure that TEDx branding guidelines are followed.
- Regularly check in on activity on social networks.
- Make TED aware of any general abuse of the TED/TEDx brand.
Exercise and Support Leadership
- Submit ongoing suggestions to TED on how to support the appointed TED or TEDx community, and recommend ways for TED to grow TEDx in that region of the world.
- Help select and support next year's ambassador for that region.
Rules to Remember
- The TEDx Ambassador cannot use their position to fund-raise for an individual TEDx event.
- The TEDx Ambassador cannot act as the TED or TEDx “gatekeeper” of all decisions in their region, or create a hierarchy in a community.
Become an Ambassador
Being an ambassador can be an incredibly rewarding and rich experience.
The benefits of being an Ambassador
- A complimentary pass to a TED Conference
- Recognition on TED.com (in other words, on this page!)
- Acknowledgment as a TEDx Ambassador at the TEDx workshop
- TEDx Ambassadors are required to attend a TEDx Ambassador training and brainstorming meeting at a TED Conference.
- TEDx Ambassadors are required to get on monthly conference calls with the TED team to discuss updates about their region.