TED Translators and transcribers help spread ideas to a global audience. We use a free, state of the art subtitling platform called CaptionHub. Here's what you need to know to get started.
Subtitles go through the following steps before publication:
TED provides an original transcript for all TED and TED-Ed content. For TEDx talks, volunteers are able to utilize auto-generated transcriptions as a base, or create their own from scratch.
Subtitles are translated from the original language into the target language, using a dynamic subtitle editor. Note that TEDx transcripts must be reviewed and published before any translations can be created.
Before publication, subtitles are reviewed by an experienced volunteer. Once reviewed, subtitles publish directly to the TED.com video player and YouTube for the world to enjoy.
TED places tremendous priority on crediting volunteers for their contributions. Volunteers with published subtitles will have:
- Their profile appear in our translator directory
- A special TED profile page, listing their published work
- Their name credited in TED’s video player when TED Talk subtitles are active
Language and subtitling skills:
- Volunteer translators should be fluently bilingual in both source and target languages.
- Volunteer transcribers should be fluent in the transcription language.
- Volunteer translators and transcribers should be knowledgeable of subtitling best practices.
- Linguists (translators and transcribers) can claim up to 3 editing assignments.
- Reviewers and Language Supervisors can claim up to 3 editing assignments and 5 review assignments at the same time.
- New volunteers should work on one assignment at a time.
- Assignments should be completed within 30 days.
Watch a tutorial on getting started with TED Translators
A quick primer on TED Translators guidelines and subtitling best practices.
Next, learn about our subtitling best practices!
Learn more about subtitling best practices, collaboration tips and style guidelines.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.