TEDxLafayette organizers announced Lafayette’s inaugural community-inspired TEDx event themed “Spark. Inspire. Change.” The one-day event will take place on Saturday, November 22 at The Civic Theatre located at 313 N 5th St, Lafayette, IN 47901 in downtown Lafayette. TED Talks are internationally recognized for their award-winning speakers and conferences. TEDx events are independently organized at the local level.
Nine Lafayette-based speakers will bring their diverse perspectives to challenge our assumptions and expand our understanding in engaging 12-18 minute presentations. In keeping with the theme, speakers will focus on stimulating creative and innovative thoughts related to technology, community, and education in the Greater Lafayette area and applicable worldwide. “Sparking engaging conversation and inspiring positive change is the goal of our first TEDx event in Lafayette,” said Nelu Lazar, community activist founder of Lafayettech and K12TECH, engineering lead, technology evangelist and developer, and Executive Director of TEDxLafayette. “We’re excited to highlight amazing local talent and offer the opportunity for us to see and hear about wonderful ideas and powerful actions that take off and grow from within our community to better educate and change the world as we know it,” added Lazar.
The TEDxLafayette 2014 speakers include:
* Zachary Baiel (Director of Customer Relations at Spensa Technologies; assiduous citizen in the #greaterlala area; serves on the New Chauncey Neighborhood Leadership Team; Chair of the Housing and Maintenance Appeals Board for the City of West Lafayette; Vice President of the West Lafayette Friends of the Library; and sits on the WLPL Foundation board).
* David Bowker (Director of the Office of Future Engineers at Purdue University, responsible for directing and implementing recruitment activities for the College of Engineering; teaching Academic & Career planning at Purdue University; recognized by the College of Engineering for his leadership and is active on campus / community committees).
* Beth Carroll (Instructor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation at Purdue University, former small business owner and creator of Small Shopper).
* Joe Ruhl (Teacher, Biology, Genetics, and Science Research courses at Jefferson High School in Lafayette, Indiana; awarded a Golden Apple Teaching Award by the Lafayette, Indiana Chamber of Commerce; honored at the White House as Indiana’s recipient of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science Teaching).
* Ashley Scott (Operations Manager & Community Curator for MatchBOX Coworking Studio, passionate about building communities and serving as a resource for individuals interested in launching a career in tech).
* Kris Taylor (Founder of Evergreen Leadership; author of The Leader’s Guide to Turbulent Times; teaches entrepreneurship in addition to her writing, teaching, coaching and leadership development work).
* Keith Watson (Information security architect for Purdue University, a host on the Eyes on Privacy podcast and co-author on "A Guide to Facebook Security").
* Double Helix Collective, an interdisciplinary new media collective that explores the visual poetics of the intersection of technology, sound, music, live-drawing, video, shadow and ritual. The collective features Sabrina Lastman (vocalist, songwriter, voice educator & Guild Certified Feldenkrais Practitioner) & Petronio Bendito (intermedia artist & Associate Professor of Visual Communications Design at Purdue University).
* Briagha McTavish, a singer/songwriter earning award recognition on NPR's "In Search of Song" competition and the SAMI Shirley Martin Scholarship for Young Songwriters and Blooming-Tunes Songwriting Competition.
Early-bird tickets are on sale for $30 (limited to 20 seats or through October 10). Remaining tickets will be sold at $45 on www.tedxlafayette.com . VIP Passes are also available. See the website for details and to reserve your seat. Included in ticket prices are access to both TEDx sessions experience, food, beverages, entertainment acts, and access to the super after-party. Early-bird and VIP ticket holders will have the exclusive chance to meet the TEDx speakers.
For a full list of speakers, latest news, and to reserve your spot at the event, go to www.tedxlafayette.com.
Speakers may not be confirmed. Check event website for more information.