TEDCity2.0: Dream me. Build me. Make me real.
September 20, 2013
On September 20, 2013, TEDCity2.0 took place at the TimesCenter in New York City. Co-curated and co-hosted by Chris Anderson, John Cary, and Courtney Martin, the event surfaced stories of urban ingenuity and interdependence from across the globe, and featured an unexpected mix of over 20 speakers, including several 2012 City 2.0 Award winners.
Live-streamed for free, the TEDCity2.0 anchor event coincided with self organized TEDxCity2.0 events over a 48-hour period. TEDx communities worldwide are envisioning the cities of our future and sharing big ideas about collaborative action and sustainable solutions.
Watch TEDCity2.0 2013 session 1
TEDCity2.0 2013 Program
Redefining Citizen: 9 - 10:30am ET
Hosted by Chris Anderson
- Poverty professor Ananya Roy, exploring the ingenuity of the world's most vulnerable
- Peace strategist Mohamed Ali tackles terrorism with entrepreneurial verve
- Entrepreneur Eric Liu is reinventing citizenship for the 21st century
- Harassment avenger Emily May is reclaiming public safety for women and for all
- Mayor Kasim Reed, who's shaping the future of one of America's most diverse cities
- Pedestrian freestylers Shem Rajoon, Luciano Acuna Jr., and Masi James of Bklyn Beast push the limits of urban movement
Reinventing Urban Experience: 11 - 12pm ET
Hosted by Courtney Martin
- Walkability advocate Jeff Speck, who fights against suburban sprawl and bad urban policy
- Aural artist Jason Sweeney, reinventing the urban experience through a crowd-sourced public art project
- Civic technologist Catherine Bracy is scaling "Code for America" internationally
- Radical professor Dennis Dalton, an Ivy Leaguer with a thing for street philosophers
- Urban bard Felice Belle is a poetic voice of and
on the city
Reimagining the City: 1:30 - 3pm ET
Hosted by John Cary
- Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan is putting pedestrians at the forefront of transportation policy in New York City
- Visionary architect Chris Downey, who lost his sight and gained new ways of seeing the world
- Robin Nagle, an anthropologist in residence at the NYC dept of sanitation, talks trash
- Street performers John Pita and Avi Snow of City of the Sun are flamenco/blues/indie rockers
- Place maker Toni Griffin, an urban planner working to make cities more just
- Housing advocate Shaun Donovan, the U.S. Secretary of Housing & Urban Development
- Sustainability guru Lance Hosey, who's on a mission to make green design beautiful
Redrawing Geographies: 3:30 - 5pm ET
Hosted by Chris Anderson
- Transportation evangelist Enrique Peñalosa turned Bogota into an international model for pedestrian life
- Impact designer Alan Ricks believes the global south has something to teach the global north about beauty
- Burkina Faso architect Diébédo Francis Kéré creates elegance using local crafts and materials
- Writer Joshunda Sanders, who's remapping the mental urban landscape with memoir
- Photographer Iwan Baan captures life in informal communities, including the world's most notorious vertical slum
Download the TEDxCity2.0 Action Toolkit: Use the guide to all things action-oriented for TEDCity2.0 and participate in your community.
Keep the conversation going on thecity2.org: Share your urban stories and inspirations on the City 2.0 site.
Watch the TEDCity2.0 livestream archive: View talks from over 20 urban catalysts, tastemakers, builders and dreamers.
Action during TEDCity2.0 2013
Select speakers issued a call to action from the main stage. Livestream viewers were invited to respond to the call and customized it for their local context. Alternatively, they were encouraged to mobilize with their community in a day of action around a local urban issue. Here's a recap.