Brooklyn, NY, United States
July 23rd, 2013
About this event
TEDx is coming to a neighborhood near you. Lineup is as follows, though order is subject to change:
1. Improvising Life by Pat Shay
How to have better conversations with yourself and others.
2. The Wild Wild Web by Sarah DeStefano
In an age of instant access to information, does the Constitution still protect our individual liberties and free society?
3. Classical Physics and Vulnerable Users Laws by Douglas Watters
Why Motor Vehicles Laws Shouldn't Apply to Cyclists
4. How to have a safe abortion in a country where it is illegal by Emily Seiter
Abortion is illegal in all South American countries, and yet over 10 million women in South America have abortion through illegal means, sometimes unsafely. Citizens in these countries are finding new, innovative ways to make sure women get safe abortion care.
5. Love of the unreal: Understanding the World Through Fake Versions of it by Ethan Gould
There is a certain mania to creating simulacra, whether in theater, films, games, puppetry, technology, visual art...this talk explores some philosophies of this desire, and shares some of tactics artists have used to complicate or challenge perceptions of the real through a variety of genres.
6. Not Your Mother's Rebellion: Women of History Ready for a Fight by Whitney Johnson
We'll look at two ladies of history who had a thing or two to say about a thing or two
7. Closing Remarks by Sarah Seiter
I can TED talk and so can you. Why you should organize lecture series, events, and anything else your little heart desires.