TEDxSacramento's stream of TEDxWomen -- hosted by Pat Mitchell and the Paley Center for Media - will take place at The Urban Hive on Saturday, December 1st, 2012. Themed The Space Between -- This is the second edition of TEDxWomen - the first brought to the stage speakers such as Gloria Steinem, Dr. Oz and Jane Fonda and was viewed by 120 TEDx communities around the globe. The event was inspired by TEDWomen, which took place in 2010.
This event is part of TEDxSacramento's community series--smaller events designed to engage our community in new and interesting ways--based upon sharing ideas via TEDTalks and TEDxTalks, as we aim to create a more deliberate and interconnected community of regional thought leaders. Light breakfast and lunch will be provided. Because a goal of this event is to be more intimate, tickets are limited.
This year’s speakers include:
• Julia Bluhm and Izzie Labbe: two young women who successfully petitioned Seventeen magazine to stop altering face and body shapes of girls with photoshop.
• Anita Sarkeesian: a feminist media critic who initiated a successful Kickstarter campaign to examine gender tropes in video games. Shortly after, a Flash game, where users could punch a likeness of Sarkeesian, went viral, underscoring the sexism she sought to unveil.
• Bob Woodruff: a former ABC war correspondent who suffered a traumatic brain injury while embedded in Iraq, and his wife, Lee, who will describe their journey of starts and stops.
• : a well-known feminist playwright, performer, writer, activist, and author of the The Vagina Monologues.
• Chung Hyun Kyung: a Korean spiritual leader and ecofeminist.
• Musimbi Kanyoro: head of the Global Fund for Women.
• Jessica Pabon (pictured above): on the history of graffiti artists.
Note: Speaker line-up and schedule are subject to change. All sales are final.
Light Breakfast & Registration (8:00 - 9:00)
Session One: EQ & IQ - The space between our intellectual and emotional intelligence (9:00 - 10:30)
Break (10:30 - 11:00)
Session Two: The Mirror - The space between what we see and what is true (11:00 - 12:30)
Lunch (12:30 - 1:30)
Session Three: Stops & Starts - The space between disruption and moving on (1:30 - 3:00)
Break (3:00 - 3:30)
Session Four: THE RISING - It is the space between seeing and doing; between knowing and responding; between staying in the dark and seeking the light (3:30 - 5:00)
Reception (5:00 - 7:00)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 25 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. The annual TED Conference invites the world's leading thinkers and doers to speak for 18 minutes. Their talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Al Gore, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Nandan Nilekani, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. The annual TED Conference takes place in Long Beach, California, with simulcast in Palm Springs; TEDGlobal is held each year in Oxford, UK. TED's media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily, and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide. TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to organize local, independent TED-like events around the world; and the TEDFellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
About TEDx Sacramento
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is call TEDxSacramento, where x=independently organized TED event. At our TEDxSacramento event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.