In the Spring of 2009, Dr. Zeman completed an interdisciplinary Ph.D. incorporating Electrical Engineering (advanced signal processing), Neurobiology, and Cognitive Psychology. Since then, he created a company called Applied Brain and Vision Sciences Inc., that employs new interdisciplinary technologies toward the development of pharmaceuticals and ’serious’ video games. His far-reaching goal is to develop standard methods of early detection of brain-related brain diseases/dementias, focusing on Alzheimer's disease, and Parkinson's disease. While his primary perspective on problems is that of an Engineer, his repertoire for problem solving draws from knowledge and conventions from multiple disciplines. His core competencies and Values include:
1. Data Collection Paradigm Design – creating the optimum set of circumstances to best address our client’s research question.
2. Data Collection – best practices for data collection to obtain best brain function and behavioral analysis results.
3. Analysis of Brain and Behavioral Data – application of MOST-EEG technology to obtain as much information about brain function related to the behavioral paradigm as possible.
4. Development of Data Analysis Technology – Continued development and improvement of our brain function and behavioral analysis technologies and methodologies.
5. A perspective to view the brain as a dynamic system with many interacting parts – we don’t restrict ourselves to a ‘reductionist’ approach to the problem of understanding brain function, but apply methods to appropriately characterize it as a learning system with multiple interacting parts.
6. Understanding Our Client’s Challenges and Objectives – First applying the effort to understand our customer’s objectives and then tailoring our approach to addressing the objective has been what has made us successful thus far and this is a value which we continue to apply in our work.
7. Merging knowledge and practices from multiple disciplines – Good brain science incorporates expertise from multiple disciplines and we believe that in order to achieve best possible results, persons from all disciplines involved should have a part in improving our practices and technology. Hence, we support and encourage multi-disciplinary teams in our investigations. This not only improves what we can deliver to clients, but also improves our communication with clients.
Areas of Expertise
Engineering, Signal Processing, Product Design, Biometric and Behavioral Data Analysis, Electroencephalography, data mining, Random Data Analysis
An idea worth spreading
I have been working on technology we are calling. MOST-EEG. MOST-EEG technology helps tell the ‘story’ of brain function. It helps us understand what happened in our brains while we gather electroencephalographic data from someone whey they were engaged in a particular behavioural task. By providing as much information as possible about the activation and interaction of multiple areas of the brain during the task, it helps us get a picture of how the brain operates as a complete system. This not only helps us better understand how the brain functions, but also how various stimuli and tasks affect the brain, the actual strategies we use to address the tasks we are presented with, and how we can modulate brain function by introducing experimental manipulations into task paradigms. It helps us better understand the interplay between what we ‘do’ and what we ‘think’. Definitely contact me if you're interested in working with me on this technology.
I'm passionate about
** Early detection of age-related brain diseases when damage is minimal so that interventions and therapies can be maximally effective. **Interested in both the detection of disease and the treatments
Talk to me about
(1) Early detection of age-related brain diseases, (2) identifying trajectories of idea aging
People don't know I'm good at
I am very good at figuring things out and making things work.
My TED story
I am continually finding inspiring content on the TED website. I have been learning concepts from many disciplines including how to promote new ideas which is by own biggest challenge right now. What would be very helpful is if could TED provide a means to help people like myself with big ideas and the know-how to implement these ideas with the very much needed investment money and business managers.