Since completing my PhD in 1970 (When I discovered cosmic noise absorption pulsations) I have worked as follows:
1. Auroral physicist - Australian Antarctic Division (Pi1 micropulsations, etc)
2. Developed invention for tracking formants in speech
3. Ocean Surface Waves with CSIRO - identified a mechanism for frequency downshifting of waves
4. Developed numerical fluid dynamic models for estimating tidal and wind driven flows on NW Shelf of Western Australia (CSIRO, for offshore oil and gas industry)
5. Developed invention for real-time detection of moving objects in video images for surveillance purposes (http://www.stakeout.com.au)
6. Developed invention (Nutrient Megapump) for using heat from hydrothermal vents to mix deep nutrients into the mixed layer of the ocean to promote plankton growth so removing CO2 from the atmosphere and increasing fish stocks (http://www.ecofluidics.com)
7. Created online journal (http://www.scienceheresy.com) in order to publish ideas not unaccepted by mainstream journals.
I am passionate about the separation of science from religion and ideology. Climate Change is one example of Science corrupted by Environmentalism. We must understand the planet before we can save it
The real world, nature, the Universe, is not a machine. Its behaviour can only be predicted approximately and only for a short time into the future. There is always a random component involved in any prediction. The laws of physics are approximations. The world is fundamentally stochastic, i.e. governed by the laws of probability. The future does not exist; it is being created now as future probabilities become realized. Mathematical physics works well for massive objects like planets but it describes the turbulent behaviour of fluids only poorly. This is why climate models are so hopeless. They are heavily damped to prevent them from blowing up and the essentially chaotic nature of climate is lost. The modelers are using a scheme which cannot adequately describe a breaking wave or a boiling saucepan to predict the state of the fluid envelope of an entire planet decades into the future.
In 2007 we formed a company, Ecofluidics, to patent a commercially viable method of removing CO2 from the atmosphere. The method involved harnessing the heat from hydrothermal vents on the ocean floor to pump nutrient rich water from 1000m depth into the sunlit upper 50m in order to create an artificial ecosystem. We devised a new sort of pump to do this. The yield in commercial fish production from a 1 Gigawatt vent would be around $80 million per year which would pay for the installation even without selling carbon credits. Apart from the carbon issue our invention would make it possible to double the world's wild fish supply within a couple of decades. This could be mankind's biggest step forward since the invention of agriculture: we farm the ocean by irrigating the surface with deep-lying nutrients.