Michael Cannon

Someone is shy

Michael hasn't completed a profile. Should we look for some other people?

Comments & conversations

Noface
Michael Cannon
Posted over 1 year ago
What lessons can we learn from history that we can use to create a grass root movement to "reclaim the Republic"?
Restoring or democracy requires us to take two steps Step A) Legislative solution with two objectives: (1) A Congress that is K Street conflict free (2) A system of citizen-funded elections Check-out www.represnt.us and the American Anti-Corruption Act. Step B) Constitutional solution with two objectives (3) Limits on independent expenditures (reversing Buckley/Citizens United) (4) Reaffirm that when the Declaration of Independence spoke of “unalienable Rights," it was speaking of natural persons only. Check-out organizations like: Public Citizens – Democracy is for People Common Cause WolfPac Free Speech For People Move to Amend
Noface
Michael Cannon
Posted over 1 year ago
What lessons can we learn from history that we can use to create a grass root movement to "reclaim the Republic"?
David, direct democracy may be practical from a technical perspective but I do not think it is practical from a issues perspective. The majority of issues require far too much domain knowledge. For example, I do not have enough knowledge to know what is the best way to improve our healthcare system and I certainly do not have the time to study the situation and make an educated decision/vote. There are easily 1000s of issues like this that are beyond the average citizen knowledge and capacity to learn boundaries. Please look at www.represent.us and the American Anti-Corruption ACT. It get's us about a 75% solution, with a constitutional amendment to overturn Buckley/Citizens United as the other 25%.
Noface
Michael Cannon
Posted over 1 year ago
What lessons can we learn from history that we can use to create a grass root movement to "reclaim the Republic"?
Via campaign contributions, lobbyist contributions, Super PACs and Independent Expenditures the funders, the moneyed special interests such as Unions, Corporations, and the wealthiest people, determine to a great extent: • Who we vote for – candidates must win the money (funder) vote first in order to get to the general election • What the elected officials do when they get to office –repay their “debt” and or secure future funds by protecting and expanding the funder’s profit privileges, i.e. welfare for the rich via tax breaks and anti-competitive, sweetheart legislation This is the US political system today. Our elected officials are mostly dependent on the funders, and not the people. Objectively it’s not a democracy anymore. The accurate definition is plutocracy - rule by the extremely wealthy for the benefit of the extremely wealthy.