1919 EAST BETHANY HOME ROAD. PHX, AZ 85016
602-290-9126 • JCGRIFF1@ASU.EDU
JOHN CLINTON GRIFFIN
To be accepted into medical school in order to further my education and training in the medical field with an aspiration to excel in the field of healthcare.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS
• Arizona State University August 2006-December 2010 Tempe, AZ
Graduated Summa Cum Laude (3.98 GPA) in December 2010 with a Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry and currently two classes short of a business minor. I plan to continue with a career in medicine and will apply to medical school in June 2012.
• Coronado High School April 2004-May 2006 Phoenix, AZ
Graduated with a 4.0 GPA, National Honors Society member for 2 years.
• Valley Pain Consultants
Interact directly with patients and medical professional staff; perform multiple front and back office tasks including surgery scheduling, insurance verification, appointment confirmations and several other business-related matters for several different providers at the Osborn and Shea locations.
• Varsity Tutors: July 2011-Current
Provide private academic instruction for state-wide high school and undergraduate college students in chemistry, biochemistry, physics, high school and college-level mathematics and SAT preparation.
• Private Academic Instructor (Self-Employed): June 2011-Current
Reinforce concepts learned in lecture, recitation and lab as well as assist in completion of homework and exam preparation for chemistry, biochemistry, physics and mathematics courses at Arizona State University.
• Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions: April 2010-Feb. 2012
Organize and manage on-campus and off-campus events, promote educational courses and materials, consultative sales and marketing strategies, and promotional tabling.
• Research Assistant: Behavioral Neuroscience Department at ASU SOLS: February 2010–December 2010
Handling rats, surgical procedures (including catheterization and cannulation) for cocaine and nicotine self-administration using the conditioned placed preference (CPP) model, immunohistochemistry analysis, applied chemistry principles and euthanizations.
• Undergraduate Researcher: Chemistry and Biochemistry Department at ASU: August 2008-February 2010
Protein separation studies on a microscopic level through the administration of enzymes, buffers and proteins to determine optimal combinations for separation, as well as favorable microfluidic microchip mechanism designs.
• Surgery Waiting Room Volunteer: Phoenix St. Joseph’s Hospital: August 2008-August 2009
Customer service, answer and direct phone calls, take specimens to lab, assist in clerical work, stock medical supplies and facilitate the communication between doctors and families.
ACTIVITIES, HONORS & AWARDS
• Varsity Tutors featured Tutor of the Month for the entire Phoenix market - September 2011. Consistently a highly-requested tutor.
• BA Merit Award Recipient (Chemistry & Biochemistry Dept. at ASU): Demonstrating superior achievement in academics and research – December 2010
• National Dean’s List - 2006-2010 (all semesters at Arizona State University)
• BIO 390 Medical Placement Internship: Completed ten 12-hour shifts at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn in the ER Department where I performed basic duties (took samples to lab, transported patients, maintained patient rooms), observed physicians and nurses and assisted in patient care and trauma situations – Fall 2010
• Alpha Epsilon Delta National Member (Pre-health society) – 2010
• Alpha Epsilon Delta Chapter Member (Pre-health society) – 2007-2010
• ASU Mini Med School volunteer and mentor - June 2010
• Chief Editor and contributing author of Alpha Epsilon Delta’s Scalpel bi-monthly newsletter - Spring 2010
• Co-creator of Haiti relief fund on ASU Tempe campus in coordination with Alpha Epsilon Delta to collect, package, and distribute medical supplies - Spring 2010
• Coronado High School Strategic Planning-Visioning Mission for 2009-2010: Guest speaker regarding Scottsdale’s educational standards, performance, and reform – January 2010
• Project Cure volunteer via Alpha Epsilon Delta – 2008-2010
• Shadowing Dr. John Corey in operating room at Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn – October 2008
• President’s Scholarship Recipient from Arizona State University: Four-year academic collegiate scholarship for academic excellence in high school – Spring 2006
Areas of Expertise
Mathematics, Technology - Education, Physics - Atomic and Molecular, Chemistry - Physical, Inorganic, Organic, Marketing / Branding, Advertising, Events
I'm passionate about
Healthcare, medicine, education, politics