MARKETING • PUBLIC AFFAIRS
Dynamic, high energy marketing professional with a solid track record of driving product strategy and execution. Consummate relationship builder with demonstrated ability to forge client relationships in a variety of industries. Well regarded for being a visionary leader and a clear communicator with high credibility.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Market Strategy Development • Standards Development
• High-impact Relationship Building • Marketing Execution
• Public Relations • Team Building & Leadership
CENTURYLINK, Portland, OR June 2011 to March 2012
Small Business Community Representative
Key Accomplishment: Dramatically increased awareness in the Portland business community of CenturyLink’s viability as an alternative to cable for internet service, thus reducing churn by 10% and directly impacting client retention.
• Contributed to 50% higher increase in access line sales and high speed internet access for small businesses as compared to a similar market without a community representative.
• Exceeded all goals for engaging new contacts and for referring a portion of those contacts to CenturyLink’s retail and mid-cap sales organizations.
• Attained a score of 9.085 out of 10 in overall customer satisfaction surveys, indicating a high likelihood of customer recommendations.
• Positively impacted the online marketing efforts of small businesses by offering them information and technology consultations.
• Increased awareness of CenturyLink’s product and service offerings by participating in dozens of online and face-to-face networking groups and business district and chamber of commerce organizations.
• Added value to CenturyLink’s presence by delivering dozens of presentations on online marketing and Internet technology topics at meetings of business leaders and small business owners.
• Expanded the word-of-mouth reach through recruiting “ambassadors” to help recommend CenturyLink’s products and services to their peers.
• Utilized my 700+ member business network to improve small business relationships by providing referrals and bringing businesses together to help each other.
FARMERS INSURANCE GROUP, Portland, OR
Insurance and Financial Services Agent October 2009 to May 2011
and April 2003 to March 2008
Key Accomplishment: Successfully obtained education in an entirely new field of endeavor to obtain insurance and security licenses needed to help customers with their insurance and other financial needs.
• Used consultative selling techniques to help customers achieve their desired levels of protection with auto, home, life, umbrella, flood and specialty insurance.
• Explained complex insurance issues and financial services products to the buying public in clear, concise and understandable manner without jargon.
• Cultivated the respect of business peers through active participation in and promotion of business district association activities and events.
ALLIANCE OF PORTLAND NEIGHBORHOOD BUSINESS ASSOCIATIONS, Portland, OR March 2008 to September 2009
Key Accomplishment: Testified effectively before Portland City Council on matters of importance to small businesses in Portland and to secure an additional $250,000 per year funding for the APNBA.
• Forged partnerships with the Portland Business Alliance, Oregon Association of Minority Entrepreneurs and several regional and ethnic Chambers of Commerce to coordinate efforts and forge consensus positions.
• Developed brochures, membership promotional materials and event flyers for many of the 25 business district associations we served; revamped the website, weekly NewsSource e-newsletter and monthly Voice publication.
• Organized and held quarterly workshops and an annual conference.
• Assisted member organization officers with membership recruiting and marketing/public relations material development.
• Developed brochures and presentations for use with the public and City, State and Regional government organizations explaining the vision, mission, goals and activities of the APNBA.
CREDENCE CORPORATION/ FLUENCE TECHNOLOGY /IMS, Beaverton, OR June 1996 to January 2003
Marketing Manager/Business Unit Manager
Key Accomplishment: Built IMS’s mixed-signal test equipment system business unit from $1.2 million in sales to over $10 million in sales in just over three years. Converted IMS from a small custom engineering shop to a full-fledged business unit producing standard products.
• Launched successful inbound and outbound marketing programs and executed them throughout the U.S., Europe and Asia by conducting market research and working closely with ad agencies to reach targeted markets.
• Led Fluence Technology’s highly complex built-in self-test intellectual property development and marketing efforts with major electronics companies.
• Spearheaded the creation of multiple application notes and a comprehensive collection of support mater
Helping businesses grow through better marketing strategies.
Are you passionate about your business? About what you do for a living? If not, you might not be as happy or successful as your passionate peers.
I hear a lot of motivational speakers in my networking activities. I will tell you that the one thing they all have in common is passion for what they do. Passion in their need to persuade people to their point of view. Passion in helping you be as happy and successful as they are. And you can spot the phonies in an instant, because passion cannot easily be faked. At least not for long!
So give some thought to what you do in your marketing activities. Do you communicate your story with the kind of passion that will motivate prospects to become customers? If not, what might you be able to do to correct that situation? Because correct it you must if you wish to achieve maximum success, however you define it. And I really mean that. Passionately.
Your marketing issues: what's working, what's not working, what you'd like to accomplish going forward.
Public speaking, changing the rules for marketing success, unconventional thinking.