> Senior urban planning professional and architect with over 10 yrs of experience in participatory development strategies, including a PhD in Participatory Development.
> Proven expertise in project management with comprehensive experience in the design and management of capital works and infrastructure programs funded by international donor agencies such as DFIID & AusAID.
> Highly skilled in Participatory Action Research methodologies. This includes; providing the process for groups to collaborate and create useful strategic plans based on the LogFrame format; providing the process by which a group can identify the stakeholders in the outputs they wish to achieve, and create an effective planned approach to their engagement processes based on the ‘IAP2 spectrum of engagement’; collaboratively create an effective operational plan to determine their activities using interactive gantt charts; and finally the tools and techniques for a group to undertake participatory monitoring and evaluation processes to assess performance.
> Considerable skills and experience in developing and implementing training programs in Action Research and Participatory Development mechanisms.
Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) 2012 – Present
Effective Full Time (EFT) 0.6 position
Senior Engagement Adviser, South West Region, Victoria, Australia
Responsible for providing facilitative leadership and capacity building in stakeholder and community relations. Designed and facilitated the initial ‘Strategy and Partnerships’ operational workshops.
Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) 2004 – 2012
Effective Full Time (EFT) 0.6 position
Community Engagement Adviser – Learning and Development, Victoria, Australia
* Member of the Engagement and Partnerships Team (EPT), which was responsible for promoting cultural change within the Department.
* Designed and delivered adult learning based courses for project managers to plan community engagement in decision making activities, an extensive action research-based project over seven years.
* Provided specialist community & stakeholder engagement planning services to DSE projects and programs
* Established and drove three Community Engagement Communities of Practice to allow public servants: Share experiences in stakeholder engagement; Develop skills; Gain peer feedback and assistance when planning engagement activities.
* Designed and delivered the Action Learning components of the DSE Executive, Senior and Regional Leadership Programs. to whom? These leadership programs were attended by senior staff members that had applied for and been accepted as potential Executive staff.
* Collaborated on developing the DSE corporate learning strategy ‘Learning Everywhere, All of the Time’ and the DSE Handling Challenging Interactions course
* Designed and implemented the participatory process for the EPT capacity building strategy, annual planning and learning cycle
* Contributed to the DSE Effective Engagement Kit. This highly regarded publication continues to be a ‘bench mark’ publication on the theory and practice of stakeholder engagement.
* Designed and implemented a series of ‘lunch box seminars’ on complex topics, including:
Stakeholder Analysis Tools
Systems and Complexity
Collaborative event on collaboration
Adult learning techniques
Action Research in complexity
Areas of Expertise
Architect Design, Multi stakeholder engagement designer
An idea worth spreading
Creating the cities we want to live in is not rocket science. It is more complex than that. Science and technology has been a useful driver for city form over the last 150yrs or so, but just as the Renaissance and Medieval cities passed their use by date, so perhaps has the technocratic city. We need to move toward the complex city, the city that recognises inclusiveness and multiple values.
I'm passionate about
Enabling people to become engaged in creating the places they'd like to live
Talk to me about
People don't know I'm good at
Designing multi-stakeholder engagement processes