TEDx Level 2 licensees may distribute up to four talks from each event on any one regional/local television broadcast station -- stations which are owned and operated by regional/local media companies and targeted toward a specific local, regional or national audience. TEDx events cannot be broadcast live on broadcast or digital television.
TEDx Level 2 licensees must adhere to the guidelines around broadcasting TEDx on television, including completion of the application and all relevant forms:
- Distribution:Only four TEDxTalks can be distributed from any one event to any one station. Talks cannot credit any sponsors or other entities. TEDxTalks chosen for station distribution can only be distributed on the station, and on the station's primary website and there only as an embed from the TEDx YouTube channel. TEDx events cannot be broadcast live on broadcast digital television.
- Format: TEDxTalks broadcast on television must be broadcast in their entirety as they have been edited and published on the TEDx YouTube channel, and without advertising interruption.
Promo video: The broadcast must include a 30-second (minimum) TED-approved spot that clearly describes the TEDx program.
The promo video should:
- Clearly explain the difference between TED and TEDx.
- Present the TEDxTalks as from TEDx(EventName) and not from TED. Include your TEDx event logo - never the TED or TEDx logo.
- Include a three-second slate that reads: “For more information on TED and TEDx please visit www.ted.com and www.ted.com/tedx.”
- Include a three-second slate that reads: “For more local talks please visit http://tedxtalks.ted.com/ and add the appropriate link to talks from your region.
Broadcasting your TEDxTalks
To broadcast your TEDxTalks on regional/local television broadcast stations, follow these steps:
- Complete the TEDx Television Broadcast Application.
- Contact the station to confirm their interest in airing up to four TEDxTalks from your event. Request that the station complete the TEDx Station Plan Form (Zip 26KB). Email this form to TEDxTV@TED.com.
- TED will review your application and notify you within 10 business days if your proposal is approved. We may request additional information. Your application will not be reviewed until both the TEDx Television Broadcast Application and Station Plan Form have been submitted.
- Please be sure to have a copy of the TEDx Speaker Waiver (Doc 56KB) from each of the TEDxTalks speakers. Please keep these releases for your records.
- Execute a TEDx Television Broadcast License (Zip 185KB) with the station. Email the license to TEDxTV@TED.com. Note: You may amend the sample TEDx Television Broadcast License agreement based on negotiations with your local broadcaster; however, we recommend you to adhere as closely as possible to this sample agreement as any omissions or edits may make liable you and your TEDx event.
- Produce a 30-second TEDx television broadcast promo video in accordance with the promo guidelines and upload to the TEDx YouTube channel for approval. Tag these videos with “TEDxTV,” “promo,” “TEDx(YourEventName),” “Country” and “Language.” Email a link of your promo to TEDxTV@TED.com. TED will review your TEDx television broadcast promo video and notify you within five days if the spot is approved. We may request edits
- Email TEDxTV@TED.com links to the TEDxTalks (up to four) that you would like to broadcast for review. Please upload these talks per the TEDx post-production guidelines.
- TED will review the talks within seven days and send you written confirmation of which talks, if any, may be aired by the approved station.
- Provide the TEDxTalks to the approved station and send a Broadcast Audience Report (Zip 7KB) and air check (a copy of what was aired on the station) to TED within seven days of broadcast to TEDxTV@TED.com.
Excluded distribution channels
At this time, TEDx Level 2 licensees are not permitted to distribute TEDxTalks on the following types of specialty distribution channels:>
- Pay television platforms including cable, satellite, or telecom operators such as Comcast, Sky, Canal+, Korea Telecom, Globosat, etc.
- Global television operations with international scope such as CNN, MSNBC, BloombergTV, Al-Jazeera, BBC, Sundance Channel, Canal+ etc.
- Specialized/vertical channels such as cable networks including History Channel, Discovery Channel, HBO Latin America, etc.
- Digital platforms such as Hulu, Yahoo!, Netflix, AOL, Dailymotion, iTunes, Amazon, Patch.com, Everyblock, etc. YouTube and Tudou are the only exceptions.
- Mobile, home entertainment and audio platforms such as iPad, Nokia, Android, XBox, PS3, Roku, Boxee, Sirius XM Radio, Audible, etc.
Please note that TEDx events cannot be broadcast live on broadcast television or digital tv.
If you have any questions as to whether the television station you are considering is approved, contact TEDxTV@ted.com.