"SOLE EXPERIMENT" CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE REQUIRED TO ENTER OR WIN
1. ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (including the District of Columbia) and Canada (excluding Quebec) who are 21 years of age or older at time of entry. Employees of AOL Inc. (“AOL”), TED Conferences LLC (“TED”), and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, parent companies, distributors, divisions and agencies, as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. All U.S. federal, state and local and Canadian federal, provincial, and municipal laws and regulations apply. Void in Quebec, Puerto Rico and where prohibited by law.
2. SPONSORS: The Contest is sponsored by AOL Inc., 770 Broadway, New York, NY 10003 and TED Conferences LLC, 250 Hudson Street, Suite 1002, New York, NY 10012 (collectively, the "Sponsors").
3. AGREEMENT TO OFFICIAL RULES: Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant's full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsors which are final and binding. Winning a Prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
4. TIMING: The entry time is from 9:00 a.m. ET on February 27, 2013 until 9:00 a.m. ET on April 12, 2013 (the "Entry Period"). Entries received prior to or after the Entry Period will be disqualified.
5. HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, go to www.ted.com/pages/sole_challenge and follow the instructions to submit your contact information, download the SOLE Toolkit and submit a blog post back to TED after completing the SOLE Experiment. Limit one (1) entry per person.
Entry must be the original work of entrant and must be owned by entrant. Modifying, enhancing or altering a third party's pre-existing work does not qualify as entrant's original creation. Entries cannot defame, invade or violate the publicity rights or privacy rights of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any person's personal, moral, or proprietary rights of any kind whatsoever. Any entrant whose entry includes any third party's name, likeness, trademarks, trade names, logos or any other elements not owned by the entrant must be able to provide a legal release for such use, including Sponsors' use of such entry, in a form satisfactory to Sponsors. See Section 13, Rights to Contest Entries, for additional information.
6. JUDGING: All eligible entries will be judged by TED staff in consultation with the TED Prize Winner and advisory board according to the following criteria (the "Judging Criteria"): (i) creativity by which they conducted the SOLE experiment, (ii) uniqueness of key findings/results/learnings, and (iii) quality of the blog post. Three (3) entrants will be selected as the Winners. In the event of a tie, the entries involved in the tie are subject to review by an additional judge who will serve as a tiebreaker and who will evaluate entries according to the Judging Criteria. TED reserves the right to select less than three (3) Winners if, in TED’s opinion, an insufficient number of quality entries are submitted. Decisions of judges are final and binding on all matters relating to this Contest.
7. NOTIFICATION OF POTENTIAL WINNERS: Entrants who are notified that their entries were selected are Potential Winners. A Potential Winner is not a Winner until he/she has returned all required documentation and his/her eligibility has been verified by Sponsors. Potential Winners must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules and winning is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements. Potential Winners will be notified by U.S. mail, e-mail and/or telephone. If a Potential Winner cannot be contacted/has not responded after the first attempt to contact him/her, the entrant with the next highest score will be deemed a potential Winner. Except where prohibited, a Potential Winner will be required to sign and return to Sponsors, within a time period to be specified, an affidavit of eligibility and liability/publicity release and W-9 form in order to claim their Prize. If a Potential Winner fails to sign and return the documents within the required time period, the entrant with the next highest score will be deemed a Potential Winner.
8. PRIZES: Three (3) Grand Prize Winners will each receive a trip for two (2) to attend the 2013 TEDYouth event. Prize includes round-trip coach air transportation for two (2) from the major airport nearest the winner’s residence, two (2) nights hotel accommodations (standard room/double occupancy), and two (2) tickets to the 2013 TEDYouth event. Exact dates of travel to be determined by Sponsor. Any other costs and expenses associated with Grand Prize acceptance and use not listed herein as part of the Grand Prize including, without limitation, ground transportation, meals, beverages, luggage fees and gratuities, are the sole responsibility of Grand Prize winners. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”) of the Grand Prize is $2,000 (USD).
Actual retail value of prize may vary depending on point of departure, travel dates and fare/rate fluctuations. All travel arrangements must be made through TED or TED’s designee. The winners must be able to travel when designated by TED or the prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner may be chosen. The winners are responsible for any federal, state and local taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize. The winners and their travel companions must travel together on the same itinerary and possess all required travel documents, if and as applicable. It is the responsibility of the winners and their companions to provide proper documentation (including government issued picture identification). The dates of departure and return are subject to change at TED’s sole and absolute discretion. Airline tickets are non-refundable/non-transferable and are not valid for upgrades and/or frequent flyer miles. All airline tickets are subject to flight variation, work stoppages, and schedule or route changes. TED reserves the right to structure travel route and select hotels in its sole and absolute discretion. The winners will not receive cash or any other form of compensation if actual travel costs are less than the estimate made in these Official Rules. The round trip air transportation element for the prize begins and ends at the point of departure. If in the judgment of TED air travel is not required due to a winner’s proximity to prize location, ground transportation will be substituted for roundtrip air travel at TED’s sole and absolute discretion. The difference in value will not be awarded to the prize winner.
Sponsors shall not be responsible for any cancellations, delays, diversions or substitution or any act or omissions whatsoever by the air carriers, hotels, venue operators, transportation companies, prize providers or any other persons providing any prize-related services or accommodations. Sponsors are not liable for any missed prize events, opportunities or expenses incurred as a consequence of flight cancellation/delay or ground transportation delay. No refund or compensation will be made in the event of the cancellation or delay of any transportation or other prize element except at the sole and absolute discretion of the Sponsors. Winners and travel companions are also responsible for obtaining travel insurance (and all other forms of insurance) at their option and hereby acknowledge that Sponsors has not and will not obtain or provide travel insurance or any other form of insurance. The winners may be required to provide a credit card at the time of hotel check-in. Travel companions must execute liability/publicity releases within a timeframe to be determined by Sponsor. Once travel companions are selected, they may not be substituted, except in Sponsors’ sole and absolute discretion. Travel is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in this Giveaway, and those set forth by TED’s transportation carrier(s) of choice. Lost, stolen or damaged airline tickets, travel vouchers or certificates will not be replaced or exchanged. Transportation carrier and hotel regulations and conditions apply. Travel and lodging are subject to availability, and any changes made to either of these will be at the expense of the winner. No responsibility is assumed by Sponsors if the 2013 TEDYouth event is cancelled, rescheduled, delayed or postponed, in whole or in part. Unused tickets cannot be refunded or exchanged. In the event a prize winner (and/or his or her companion(s) (if applicable)) engage in behavior that (as determined by Sponsors in their sole and absolute discretion) is obnoxious, inappropriate, or threatening, illegal or that is intended to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person, Sponsors reserve the right to terminate the trip or other applicable experience early.
Prizes are not transferable and specifics of prize are in Sponsors’ sole discretion. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsors, who reserve the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize, or a portion of the prize, is not available for any reason as determined by Sponsors in their sole discretion. Winners are responsible for any taxes and fees associated with receipt or use of a prize.
9. GENERAL CONDITIONS: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Contest is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, or other technical problem, the Sponsors may, in its sole discretion, either: (a) suspend the Contest to address the impairment and then resume the Contest in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules; or (b) award the prizes from among the eligible entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsors reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsors reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Sponsors' failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. In case of a dispute as to the owner of an entry, entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the email address from which the entry is made. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. A potential winner may be required to provide Sponsors with satisfactory proof that he/she is the authorized account holder of the email address associated with the potentially winning entry.
10. PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited by law, participation in the Contest constitutes winner's consent to Sponsors' use of winner's entry, name, likeness, voice, opinions, biographical information and state of residence for promotional purposes in any media without further payment or consideration.
11. RIGHTS TO CONTEST ENTRIES: Submission constitutes Entrant's certification that the entry is their own original work and does not infringe the intellectual property or proprietary rights of any third party, including, without limitation, any third party patents, copyrights or trademarks ("IP Rights"). Entrant hereby agrees not to instigate, support, maintain or authorize any action, claim or lawsuit against the Released Parties (defined below), or any other person, on the grounds that any use of the entry as provided herein, infringes any of entrant's rights as creator of the entry, including, without limitation, trademark rights, copyrights and moral rights or "droit moral." Submission of entry grants Sponsors and their agents an exclusive right and license in perpetuity to reproduce, publish, display, and use any submitted entry for promotional or demonstrative purposes on any TED and/or AOL web properties. In no way is Entrant to be construed as the agent of or to be acting as the agent of Sponsors in any way. Nothing herein shall constitute an employment, joint venture, or partnership relationship between Entrant and Sponsors.
12. Release and Limitations of Liability; INDEMNIFICATION: By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsors and their officers, directors, employees, and agents (the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or receipt or use of any prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) lost, late, postage-due, misdirected, or undeliverable mail; (e) errors in the administration of the Contest or the processing of entries; or (f) injury (including death) or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant's participation in the Contest or receipt of any prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties' liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest, and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney's fees. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages. Entrant further agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all third party claims or causes of action arising out of or in any way related to Entrant's product and Sponsors’ use thereof as authorized herein, including, without limitation, any claims of infringement of IP Rights.
14. DISPUTES: Except where prohibited, entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Contest or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in the State of New York. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrant's rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsors in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of New York or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of New York.
15. CONTEST RESULTS: Contest results may be obtained by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to: SOLE Experiment Contest Winners, c/o TED, 250 Hudson Street, Suite 1002, New York, NY 10012. Requests must be received by May 31, 2013. Canadian residents may omit return postage.