What advice can we offer to aspiring entrepreneurs?
Diving in and starting your idea or company is one of the most daring things you can ever do. The future is unknown, so this question is for those aspiring entrepreneurs...after you dive in, how do you swim? What advice can we offer to aspiring entrepreneurs?
To make this efficient and effective and get the most ideas, answers in 1-3 short sentences in the following form would be great.
1) Before doing anything, immerse yourself in the environment of your customers/clients. Learn the language and the culture. Understand their lives.
2) Do your research. Do pilots so that you can start to set the foundations for your organization. Take those baby steps not based on assumptions, but on real life.
5) more to come in our Live Conversation!
This Live Conversation will open on January 12, 2012 at 12PM EST / 9AM PST
Closing Statement from Jodie Wu
I think we all echoed the same sentiment.
1) Know your passion, and when the going gets rough, have whatever it is on your wall to keep reminding you why you do what you do.
2) Seek out resources. Don't go it alone. Yes, you'll feel alone being that sole person with that crazy idea that will sacrifice anything to make it a reality, but don't feel afraid to ask questions. There's tons of resources out there.
3) Build a great team around you, so together you can build a strong foundation for your company or organization. Yes, it might be only you at first, but grow slowly and build a strong, core team.
4) Be patient. It's going to be hard. Things are not going to work, and you're going to have to innovate. But when you get things working, get your word out there. Grow your team. Spread the word about your organization through social media and the like. Inspire others to follow in your mission!
5) Jumping in and doing it can be scary, but what's the worst thing that can happen? When you start following your passion, believe it or not, there's many people who'd be jealous that you're doing what you're doing, and you'll be changing the world. Just do it! And if you fail, who cares? You've paved the way for the next generation to stand on the shoulders of giants...your shoulders!
Thanks so much for everyone's contribution, and I hope to continue this conversation! I had a ton of fun!