TED Conversations

Edmond Dantes

This conversation is closed. Start a new conversation
or join one »

Eliminate money

Our world runs on money. Most of us get up in the morning and go to work so we can afford to buy a house, car, food and maintain our lifestyle. Everyday I watch the news (and most of these are bad) the root cause of most of these news is always the same money. My idea is simple and maybe pure utopia but what if we could find a way of running our world without money.

I strongly believe any economic system we have used in recent history do not work. The main reason is very obvious. The worldwide population is approximately 7 billion and rising. Of these 7 billion I guess 30% can eat three times a day and have a roof over their head and sustain themselves and their families. The other 70% cannot have these basic needs a human being requires to live.

My idea maybe is silly but what if we gathered the best minds in the world and asked them to develop a society that runs without money. Now you may think I am crazy or that this is impossible but is it?

Imagine it s the year 1511 and I say to you, "Why do not we create a machine that can fly and take us to the moon?". Your answer would probably be "Yeah right". Yet we did go to the moon in the 60s.

Get the few people we have in the world with a very high IQ (I am not on of them) together and ask them to do the impossible. It may take them years or centuries to achieve this but I strongly believe it can be done. The goal of this project would be to give to the worldwide population food, education and the opportunity to make our world a better place for all of us and our future generations.

+2
Share:

Showing single comment thread. View the full conversation.

  • Aug 15 2011: Edmund's idea is quite interesting. Not many would have dared to think on those lines! I think, "money" because it is a convenient tool to carry to exchange it for goods and services to buy or sell, it will stay with us forever and a day! I can forsee man going to pluto in the future-but money going out of the picture will be just a dream!

Showing single comment thread. View the full conversation.