TED Conversations

This conversation is closed.

You cannot eat money, or make clothes, or build a house out of it.

In this day and age when it is politically correct to be out of work and complain on being hard up I propose to reflect whether this widely proclaimed poverty is real or faked. If it is MONEY that you are after, then I have no remedy. You will be poor (in the sense that you have not enough) forever. If however you are able bodied and need food, shelter and security for yourself and your loved ones, and live in a town or a city and no-one wants to employ you and pay you for your work enough to cover your basic needs, then move to the country, grab the fork and shovel and produce your own kitchen veggies, keep a pork or two and some chickens. Chances are someone will help you build a decent house in exchange for the food which you have in excess. I agree individual small scale farming and husbandry is not efficient, but who wants the efficient when clearly efficiency does not prevent hunger and what is more is directly the cause of so much unemployment. Believe me, you will be happy as a lark provided it is not money that is your object in life!

Share:

Showing single comment thread. View the full conversation.

  • thumb
    Jan 20 2013: money,ahhhh,for me is a board game marker,showing in increiments whether you get to buy Boardwalk,or scoop up more then my share of the resources. Money,well intentioned,and yet in the hands of a skillfull player..we never intuited it would become our prison so now what? Do we know who has the most money,do they pay for war,buy newspapers,governments,education systems? Or is that not what a skilled player would want,and why not? All the answers are painfully disappointly tracable.Small scale farming,and leaving the city could be one answer...maybe there is something in between...anew behaviour,a new hero,new values..When I speak of the terminally rich,I often say"Its not there fault they were born that way" it indicates the veil of seperration they will be under that seperrates them from reality..this is a shame and it taints their ability to make judgements...I stopped admiring them,to be envious..I speak often about the history of violence placed on the peoples of Europe that influenced them behave in ways unnatural to men unscarred..our history to me is basically evidence of endless adjustments applied by a few...do you know who they are?..Learning to farm is good selfpreservation policy..why not,soil is an essential primal right..it is how a man is rooted to the earth..where life originates..degrees of seperation from the earth will always allow another to sever your roots..You must talk genuinely,knowledgably about the core essentials..otherwise we build a dialogue that psychologically takes us away from the page we may all agree we would like to be on
    • Jan 21 2013: Carolyn I like your whole comment but in particular this statement, " ... When I speak of the terminally rich, I often say, "it's not their fault, they were born that way"". I would take that statement one step further. WE ALL SUFFER FROM THAT TERMINAL CONDITION. Only in majority of us it is dormant. If we were to anihilate the 1% so much railed against by the 99%, what would be the result? My bet is, a new 1% (in terms of personnel) would set themselves up in two or three weeks. The remaining 99% (more or less) would be as miserable as before (perhaps a bit more for having blood on their hands). And if the process of murdering the current 1% were repeated a sufficient number of times, chances are you and I would find ourselves among the number of ... 1%!!! What I am saying is that if a very shy, withdrawn person crashlanded on a desert island with a group of people who were even more shy and withdrawn, then it would be only a matter of time before that person assumed a leading position and became the much hated oppressor. It is all relative. We always assume positions of power that are available to us, whether we like it or not (and whether we are willing to admit to ourselves or not) That is why ALL revolutions failed. They all attacked a wrong enemy. The real enemy is in ... OURSELVES! Unless people start to fight the real enemy, humanity is doomed to go through these eternal cycles of PEACE (growing economic tension between rich and poor) and WAR (release of tension).
      I believe the "phase" which humanity is now at, is that of growing economic tension reaching the point of release. The only popular move which can deliver us is popular turning our backs on the world based on money and instead falling back on something which we can all understand and have faith in. We can look for ways to feed ourselves. Not through bonds, shares, hedge funds and the like but through small scale farming which on top of providing food, is certain to restore our self-dignity.

Showing single comment thread. View the full conversation.