TED Conversations

Jeremy Walter

This conversation is closed.

Learning physics

I have been having a lot of trouble getting into a school to get a physics degree because i'm in that zone where I make to much for financial aid but I don't make enough to be able to pay for school. I am looking for a place that will help me learn the math required to fully understand the science of quantum physics. I surf Youtube and the internet but as yet have not found anything that seems to operate at the same frequency as my learning capacity.

So i guess i'm looking an explanation of the different symbols and how they relate to each other within an equation. If that makes any sense =p


Showing single comment thread. View the full conversation.

  • Oct 9 2012: If you have questions, you can always ask on http://www.physicsforums.com/ or http://physics.stackexchange.com/. Before asking, just make sure that it hasn't been asked before already; people have been asking and answering there for years.

    If you don't have the money to buy books, either get them at libraries or torrent them.

    Also checkout these:
    • thumb
      Oct 9 2012: Yeah the college option really isn't on the table right now. I would have to pay out of pocket and I don't make enough to do that but I make to much to get Financial Aid. Thank you for the advice
      • Oct 9 2012: How old are you, what is your current educational background, and what languages do you speak besides English?
        I ask because Europe offers several programs for foreigners where they fund the studies entirely and even give scholarships to foreigners. You won't even have to have a job in the mean time. I know of http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/erasmus_mundus/index_en.php, but there might be others.
        • Oct 9 2012: I know of no European country that does this: usually students from inside the EU pay very low tuition and get a small allowance (that you can't live off), but students from outside the EU pay something like $10k per year, which is still lower than what you'd pay in the US for an equivalen t education, (unless they're in a temporary exchange program which always requires being registered and paying tuition at a university in your country of origin) and don't get an allowance. I'm afraid Jeremy was screwed the moment he was born in the US. He can apply for loans and spent the rest of his working life paying them off, but that's it.

Showing single comment thread. View the full conversation.